Black gram or Kala chana
This recipe may seem cumbersome. It is rather easy to do if you prep well. I will write this as simply as I can.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 5 Servings
Credit: Hebbar’s Kitchen
· 3 tsp oil *
· 1 tsp cumin / jeera *
· ½ tsp cinnamon *
· 3 pods cardamom *
· 3 cloves *
· 1 bay leaf / tej patta *
· 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves /
kasuri methi *
· pinch of hing / asafetida *
· 1 onion finely chopped
· 1 light green chillie, slit
· 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
· 1 cup tomato finely chopped
· 1/2 tsp turmeric / haldi +
· 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder +
· 1 tsp coriander powder +
· 1 tsp mango powder / aamchur powder +
· 1 tsp salt +
· ½ tsp garam masala
· 1 cup black chana / kala chana soaked overnight
· 1 cup water
· 2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
Soak the black gram over night. Pressure cook them the next morning for 2 whistles and set aside.
In a plate, gather together ingredients marked *
In another plate, gather together ingredients marked +
In a vessel, take oil and saute spices marked *
Sauté onion, green chillie and ginger garlic paste. Add tomato until it turns soft and mushy.
Once mushy add spices marked + and salt.
Sauté on low flame, till the oil releases from tomatoes.
Add cooked black chana or kala chana and add a cup of water. Mix well. Cover and pressure cook for ten minutes on low flame. Add garam masala and coriander and mix well. Serve kala chana curry with rice or roti.