French Bean foogath
Any vegetable, steamed in its juices, with coconut is called foogath. The ingredients are very few. It is light and mildly flavoured. I love this dish for its simplicity. I have used French beans. I prefer my vegetables cut fine and crunchy.
Credit: Hilda Mascarenhas
· 250 gms fresh tender French Beans
· 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
· 2 sprigs fresh Curry Leaves/Kadi Patta
· 2 fresh Green Chillies, finely minced
· 4 tsp. Mustard Seeds (optional)
· 1/2 cup fresh Coconut, grated
· 3 tbsps. Vegetable Oil/Coconut Oil (I used Vegetable oil and just 1 tbsp)
· A pinch of Sugar
· Salt to taste
Wash the French Beans & drain thoroughly. De-string the beans & French cut them.
Heat oil in a non-stick kadhai/wok/pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and green chillies. Sauté till translucent.
Then add curry leaves, a pinch of sugar and French beans. Sauté briefly for a minute. Cover the kadhai/wok/pan with a lid which can hold water.
Pour 4 cup of water on the lid & let it cook on simmer.
Every 2-3 minutes, remove the lid carefully & stir the beans & again cover with the lid.
Cook to retain crunch & colour. (Do not overcook).
Finally add the coconut & salt to taste. Stir well & let it cook for another minute, serve hot with phulkas/rotis/rice.