Kerala Pepper Beef
My mum and sister-in-law took over the kitchen today. This gave me time to key in my recipes. I love Kerala food and since we always cannot go to Kerala, I thought I’d experiment making the food myself. This recipe is a huge hit with us!
· 1/4 kg Beef, cleaned and cut in cubes
· 1/3 cup onions, finely julienne
· 1/4 tbsp garlic and ginger, finely chopped
· 1/2 green chillie (I used the light green chillies as they are not very spicy)
· 2 tbsp + 2 tsp coconut pieces (I did not have this so omitted this completely)
· 1 red chillie
· 3 sprigs of curry leaves
· Salt to taste
· Oil for frying
Roast and make a powder of the following:
· 1/2 tsp pepper corn
· 1/2 tsp fennel
· 1/4 stick cinnamon
· 1 cardamom
· 2 cloves
· 1/4 star anise
To this powder, add:
· 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
· 1/2 tbsp red chillie powder
· A pinch of haldi
Add salt as per taste to the meat, add half the quantity of the roasted and ground powder. Rest it for half an hour, minimum.
Heat oil in a pan. Fry coconut pieces, green chillie, red chillie, curry leaves. To this add onions, garlic, ginger and the remaining roasted and ground masala. Fry well. Add the beef and cook till you get a nice golden colour on the meat.