Khow suey, a Burmese dish, is a one-pot meal with noodles, chicken and veggies cooked in coconut milk and garnished with peanuts and fried garlic. I tweaked Ajay Chopra’s recipe.
· 1/2 cup Baby corn, diced
· 1 cup carrot, chopped fine
· 1 cup Cauliflower, separated into florets
· 1 cup Broccoli, separated into florets
· 1/2 cup Yellow zucchini (halved with skin), sliced
· 5-6 French beans, sliced diagonally
· 1 tsp Turmeric powder
· 1 tbsp Oil
· 1/2 cup Gram flour
· 2 cups vegetable stock
· 1 cup Coconut milk
· 2 1/2 cups water
· Salt to taste
· 1 tsp Sugar
· to taste Black peppercorns (crushed)
· 1/2 cup Peanuts, roasted and crushed
· 1/2 cup green onions, finely diced
· 1 packet (200 gms) Hakka Noodles, boiled
· 1 cup Hakka Noodles, fried
· 1/2 cup chicken sausage, diced
· 1/2 cup chicken salami, diced
· 2 tbsp Onions (browned)
· 1 tbsp Garlic (fried), finely chopped
· 1 tbsp Red chillie flakes
· 1 tsp Lemon juice
· 2 tsp Chillie oil
· 2 eggs for omelet (with salt and pepper)
· Few for topping Fresh coriander sprigs
To grind to a paste:
· 1 medium Onion
· 6-7 cloves of Garlic
· 1 inch Ginger
· 2 inch stalk Lemongrass (lower end)
· 1 green chillie (optional)
Heat sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan. Add noodles and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and transfer into a bowl.
Grind together ingredients listed under ‘to grind to a paste’ without using water.
Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add ground paste and sauté well. Add gram flour, mix well and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add a cup of water, mix and cook further, whisk well. Add coconut milk and whisk.
Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix well.
Add salt, sugar and crushed peppercorns and mix well, bring to a boil.
Add baby corn, carrot, cauliflower, mix well and boil.
Add broccoli, zucchini and beans, mix well and boil for 3-4 minutes. Your soup is ready.
Coarsely crush peanuts in a mortar with a pestle.
Whisk the eggs well and make an omelet. Cut into thin strips.
Place boiled noodles in a serving bowl.
Add chicken sausage, salami, egg strips.
Sprinkle chillie flakes and drizzle lemon juice on top.
Add crushed peanuts and toss gently to mix.
Top with cooked vegetables and pour the soup over.
Garnish with fried garlic and browned onions. Drizzle some chillie oil and finish with fresh coriander leaves.