If you love potato and you like it crispy, you must try potato rösti! It’s mildly spiced and crispy.
· 2 medium-sized potatoes (about 400g)
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil
· 1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
· 1 Fresh chilli or dried red chilli, finely chopped, to taste
· 1 tsp Black pepper
· 1 tsp cumin powder
· salt, to taste
PEEL the potatoes. Thinly slice them, then cut the slices into fine juliennes (see note below).
HEAT 1/2 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in 1/4 of the potato strips, along with 1/4 of the spring onion and fresh chilli. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin powder and salt. When the potato strips become slightly soft, press them with a spatula to form a flat, round shape.
FLIP over (with the help of a plate if necessary) when the first side is golden brown.
TRANSFER to a plate when the second side is done. Repeat the procedure to cook another three rösti.
1. You need not rinse off excess starch on the potato strips, for this rösti dish. The starch is kept to help the strips stick together.
2. I used a mandolin slicer to get super thin slices. You may use a regular grater instead.