Prawn Ghee Roast
A school friend, Bhavna Kamath, shared this recipe. I didn’t tweak it. It’s fiery hot. If needed, you can tone down the spice, deseed the chillies.
1/2 kg Prawns, cleaned and deveined.
1/4 cup (50 ml) Ghee 3-4 sprigs fresh Curry leaves 1/2 tsp Jaggery (optional).
For the marinade:
I tbsp Red Chilli Powder (RCP)
2 tbsps Curds/Yoghurt
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
1 tsp Turmeric powder Salt to taste.
For the Masala
5-6 dry Kashmiri Chillies 4-5 dry Salem/Guntur/Pandi chillies
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
I heaped tsp Peppercorns
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
8-10 cloves of Garlic (Indian size )
1 tbsp thick Tamarind pulp
Roast the 2 types of chillies in a pan on low flame for a minute or two. Take it out on a plate.
Roast the coriander, cumin, peppercorns and fenugreek
seeds till fragrant. Take it off the stove. Cool it thoroughly.
Grind it with the chillies to a powder. Then add the garlic, jaggery (if using) and the tamarind paste and grind to a smooth paste adding little water.
Add most of the ghee leaving about 2 tsp aside.
Add prawns along with the marinade. Add the masala to the pan and saute it well. Stir in between so that the masala does not burn. Once the ghee starts to seep out of the masala, the ghee roast is almost done. Adjust the seasoning. Add the curry leaves (tear, NOT CUT. it into halves) to the ghee roast and mix well. Finish off with the remaining 2 Tsp of ghee. Give it a stir once and serve hot with Rice, Appams, neer dosa, idlis Or phulkas.
1. This dish is very hot and fiery.
2. Please do not scrimp on the ghee. As that is what gives taste to the dish.
3. Roast the chillies (both kinds) and the rest of the Ingredients separately.
4. Jaggery is optional. But it takes off the heat from the dish even if it is just half a teaspoon. It won’t make the dish sweet.
5. Readymade tamarind pulp is very strong and sour. I just soaked a piece of tamarind in little water and extracted the thick pulp. You might want to use less than 1 tbsp of ‘Readymade tamarind pulp.
If need be, you can always add it while cooking.
6. PLEASE DO NOT USE EXTRA WATER USED TO RINSE THE MARINADE OFF FROM THE BOWL. It takes extra time to evaporate the liquid while roasting/sautéing the prawns.
7. The prawns get tough (however fresh it might be) because of the roasting involved.