Red Wine Mushrooms
Butter garlic mushrooms are cooked with just that, butter and garlic. However, I have added two optional ingredients because an extra burst of flavour never hurt anyone!
· 2 tbsp unsalted butter
· 1/2 tbsp olive oil
· 1/4 onion, chopped fine (optional)
· 200 gms button mushrooms, leave them whole. See notes below
· 2 tbps red wine (optional)
· 1/2 tsp thyme leaves chopped
· 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
· 2 cloves garlic minced · Salt and pepper to taste
HEAT the butter and oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
SAUTÉ the onion until softened (takes about 3 minutes).
ADD the mushrooms and cook (another 4-5 minutes) until golden and crispy on the edges.
STIR THROUGH thyme, a little coriander and garlic. Cook for a further 30 seconds, until fragrant.
POUR in the wine and cook for 2 minutes, to reduce slightly.
SEASON generously with salt and pepper (to your taste).
SPRINKLE with remaining coriander and serve warm.
· Working with Mushrooms:
Wipe each mushroom over with a damp paper towel. Use soft pastry brush if needed to remove loose dirt and debris. Work one at a time.
Lightly rinse under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towel.
Avoid soaking mushrooms as they will absorb water like a sponge and won’t brown during cooking.
· If using salted butter, go easy on the salt.